White noise for scrying? (black mirror)

Micr0cosM

White noise for scrying? (black mirror)

Post by Micr0cosM » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 am

So an idea I have been running around in my head for a while is to use the "snow" that used to appear on de-tuned televisions in the old analog age along with generated white noise sounds as a form of divination.

The idea is an evolution of the traditional black scrying mirror.

For those not familiar with the idea, a black scrying mirror is a mirror that has had the silvered back replaced with black paint, and is in a frame that is consecrated, usually to the moon, for the purposes of scrying.

You place the mirror between 2 candles, and have incense smoke billowing about it and then you state your intent and stare at the mirror until you reach a trance state and have the experience you intended. Similar to a crystal ball.

So my idea is to be able to stare at a random white noise screen along with white noise sounds and enter a trance state and wait until I see patterns or figures in the noise. I have stared at white noise like this on televisions in the past and seen patterns, but never in a ritual context. (Yes I was a weird kid.)

The problem is that I don't have an old analog tv, and I don't know of a way to get truly random noise of visual or sounds, only prerecorded or looped recordings.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Example of tv static:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1etKNs1cCkU

Black mirror:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-use-a- ... 585/g.html
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Vap0rWar3

Re: White noise for scrying? (black mirror)

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 am

I was thinking about this a while ago, how "classic" methods for getting random noise has been lost when we moved from analog to digital. I wonder if you could take things like the sound of background radiation in space and turn it into a visual. Got some research ahead of me.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:03 am

Ha, found two things.

1) you can take any audio file, open it in Audacity (free sound app, works well, used it a lot), and view it as a spectragram

2) take any file, in this demo they use pictures, and listen to it in Audacity: https://www.howtogeek.com/96690/stupid- ... und-files/

*edit, in newer version of audacity you need to "import" as "raw" to open non-audio files.

Now I am going to see what some of my images sound like.
- Vap0rWar3

kingnine

Post by kingnine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:05 am

Procedurally generated random video noise: http://www.expressionsoftware.com/apps/tvnoise
"The customer is usually wrong; but statistics indicate that it doesn't pay to tell him so."
-Aleister Crowley
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 am

Great suggestions guys.
I wonder if you could take things like the sound of background radiation in space and turn it into a visual.
I think a component of normal analog screen static actually is leftover radiation from the big bang, as well as every other kind of terrestrial EM signals, which is mad cool when you think about it.

Thanks for the link kingnine, it looks interesting, definitely the kind of thing I was looking for.

However now I that I am thinking about signals from space and such, I think I am going to have to just get an old CRT tv and set it up as a ritual object. :D

Anyone remember that creepy movie "Poltergeist"? I guess the writer of that had the same idea... :shock:
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Strange sync; I went downstairs after making this post and my wife was watching old commercials on youtube and one was playing for a rainbow brite toy and it had the little girl out of the poltergiest movies in it....

Weird......

:shock:
Michaeljaw

White noise for scrying black mirror

Post by Michaeljaw » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 am

Candle placement has more to do with it than moon phases.

Why dont you make youre own black mirror. All it costs is a picture frame and a can of spraypaint.
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:44 am

I did make one with a picture frame and black card but it didn't feel right for me, and that's what got me thinking about other methods. I might try it again with the picture frame idea, but find some way to make it work for me, what is the best position for candle placement?
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 am

From what I understand you want the candle in front of the mirror, but to the side so you cannot see its reflection. Then you get the play of light without the flame drawing your eye away from the abyss.

That has been working for me. I dont mind me being in the reflection, though I tilt the mirror so I can see over my shoulder and I take up a very small part of the space.
- Vap0rWar3