Divination tools/methods

bathtub-alchemist

Divination tools/methods

Post by bathtub-alchemist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:25 am

So what divinatory tools/methods do you use?

I learned by casting animal bones when I was a young child, as I aged I used playing cards, a dreidel with the hebrew letters removed and moon phases painted on, went through a coin and dice phase, but when I really came into my own what has worked for me best is reading tea leaves, coffee grounds, and casting a phalanx (finger bone) marked with sigils
they say another day another dollar
I see anoter slave another collar
Cam Revillot

Re: Divination tools/methods

Post by Cam Revillot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm

I have only ever used cards, tarot and various other oracle decks. Forty Servants is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine.

How does one read tea leaves or coffee grounds? Are there any patterns you watch for that have set meanings? Or do you just go by feel for the whole thing?
Check out Chaos Tarot for my Sigil Generator and other tools and ideas for C :*: M
bathtub-alchemist

Post by bathtub-alchemist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Cam Revillot wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm
I have only ever used cards, tarot and various other oracle decks. Forty Servants is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine.

How does one read tea leaves or coffee grounds? Are there any patterns you watch for that have set meanings? Or do you just go by feel for the whole thing?

It all depends on your style, I think. There are books and traditions that will tell you to look for certain symbols and tell you what the symbols mean, and that's really great training, but in the end I think the true power is in seeing what you see and interpreting it in an impartial manor
they say another day another dollar
I see anoter slave another collar
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:39 am

I have created a simple divination method for bones or stones, that I have yet to employ. The way it works is that you either have a mat or you draw in the dirt a plus sign, essentially dividing your area into 4 quadrants. The upper half is positive, the lower is negative, the right is future, and the left is past. Then each stone or bone symbolizes a single concept like love, health, wealth, etc. Where it lands in the quadrants tell you if its good or bad, and if its future or past.

I am interested in hearing about your bone method.

I have not actually studied divinatory methods, that one just came to me.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Cam Revillot

Post by Cam Revillot » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 pm

I wrote up a few methods for using optical illusions for divination so that your subconscious comes into play in the choosing, instead of a dice roll or shuffle.

http://www.chaostarot.com/using-optical ... alization/
Check out Chaos Tarot for my Sigil Generator and other tools and ideas for C :*: M
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 am

I have been using the I-Ching for many years with sometimes startling success.

I like it as it is relatively simple to cast a reading using the 3 coin method.

It is called the book of changes as it is at home in a philosophy where the only thing is change.

It gives you a poetic image of how things are in your current situation, how they are likely to change, and how things will be when that change occurs.

The problem is that it is a translation of a Chinese text that has been being added to for 2500 years so that some of the symbolism isn't obvious to modern western minds, so once you have the result you might need to spend some time getting to understand the context of the advice and how it relates to your problem. There are however a number of translations available on the web all with interpretations of the symbolism made by people familiar with the source.

I tried to get into tarot for many years and I have several decks and have a good feel for a spread but I cant ever seem to spend enough time with it to get to a level of proficiency that I am happy with, whereas the I-Ching seems to give me immediate answers that I might have to spend a bit more time thinking about to fully realise their implications.

I got the digital version of Tommie Kelly's Forty Servants deck and I think its excellent but I don't know about using it in divination yet. I think I would need to charge and work with each card as a servitor before I could use it as a deck for divination.

I will never let a cup of coffee or tea go unexamined for interesting symbols either, but more for fun that serious divination. ;)
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic