Demons

Micr0cosM

Demons

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 am

I am reading uncle Ramsey's little book of demons. (Thanks Vap0rWar3)

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Demo ... 1904658091

I never considered working with demons in the context of the Goetia, at least not for a while until I am more experienced, but I did do a successful working a while back where I personified a character trait I no longer wanted, sigilised it, named it and bound it's sigil ritualistically in a box. The ritual worked well but it was made up on the fly from a brief description of the concept somewhere in an essay by Phil Hine. So I was intrigued when I found that Ramsey Dukes had written a book on the subject. I am subscribed to his channel on YouTube and he has some interesting stuff on there.

I'm not far into the book but it is definitely worth the read.

One of the first ideas that lit up my brain is that in our modern times humans have developed logic and reasoning which have become extremely valuable in finding solutions to most problems, but that for tens of thousands of years before the creation of logic our ancestors have been using the part of our brain that deals with social situations to solve social problems.

Our minds are finely tuned to perceive problems in relationships and to feel our way through understanding and negotiating and dealing with problems of an interpersonal nature.

So regardless of whether you like the idea of a demon as a separate conscious entity, the ability to label a part of our personality, name it, give it characteristics and a personality and then to negotiate with that entity is an extremely useful strategy that enables us to solve problems of personality using mental tools that are much better suited to the task than logic and reasoning.

I spent years throwing logic and reasons at a marijuana addiction trying to work out how to quit when I knew I had to and wanted to and it didn't work. When I gave it a name and a sigil and bound it in a ritual the problem was solved. That was my first attempt and it was successful, but as uncle Ramsey points out, forcibly binding a demon isn't necessarily the best strategy, and sometimes treating an entity with compassion and understanding and then negotiating with it might work better.

Interesting stuff.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Vap0rWar3

Re: Demons

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

You are welcome Microcosm.

I just read a really interesting article about how we have 3 types of thought. Which is based on the book "Hare Brain, Tortoise Mind", in which the author goes on the describe that we have adapted to only use the part of the brain that is meant for quick logical reasoning in modern times. This part of the brain is good for technical problems, but is less helpful for social issues. We end up treating all obstacles and problems as if logical reasoning is the only solution, which puts us at a disadvantage from earlier scholars, who could ponder a problem over time, allowing natural insight to provide a more powerful answer.

I need to pick up the book, but you post reminded me of it immediately.

If I were to describe it in my own words, I would say its really a break down of Consciousness = Logical/Technical problem solving, Sub-Conscious = Insight, and he mentions a third which would be like Instinctual, such as removing your hand from a hot plate.

With that comparison it seems very in line with the thoughts on the human mind and the practice of magick.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:51 am

Yeah, that definitely rings true.

Since I started considering my subconscious as a separate entity I am noticing more times when it is making decisions and giving me information. Like if I am looking for something and find myself staring at instantly when walking into a room even though I could not have told you where it was. It is why I created a servitor to help me find things, as a way to have a conscious interaction with that particular part of myself.

It is also why I always sleep on a problem or decision as a way to give my subconscious a way to find a solution.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
dogwolf

Post by dogwolf » Thu May 31, 2018 12:44 am

SO some urges are strong and some weak? The idea is to control which ones are which. We summon demons so that we can banish them and become that demons master.

Like tulpas you can control what you feed it. Keep it oppressed and uneducated then it becomes a Demon. Its the picking at it constantly that turns the scab into a major scar vs a small one. If instead you sought communication, education and understanding it could work its way out naturally. Something I think Kundalini tries to do.

Sayings like "don't judge yourself to harshly" or "only god can judge me" (still alive) imply it is you who must determine the sentence. Chesesd, love yourself and have mercy. Get over the guilt of having an idea. Practice with meditation helps with that separation, the idea from the one who had it. Sent it away. Banished, bitch.

That is where sigils help? If a person struggles doing the task internally. Do it physically and influence the brain with belief through ceremony. Gotta practice that shit.

Is that the jist of it. It make a lot of since to me especially from a view point of wanting to ascend with chaos magic I think.
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes.
8-)