Evoking Nodens

Vap0rWar3

Evoking Nodens

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:11 pm

History, what lead to this ritual?
While working on developing a Lovecraftian pantheon for adoption of belief, I came across some deities that Lovecraft borrowed from history. One of these deities was Nodens, who I will describe shortly. Having never actually worked on the ritualistic evocation of an entity, I decided to try this. The following is how it came to be.

Lovecraftian Pantheon

See “Paradigms, A Lovecraftian Paradigm: for details

Nodens, a primer

Excerp from Lovecraft Pantheon Description; linked in “A Lovecraftian Paradigm”:

“Nodens (Lord of the Great Abyss, Primal One, the Dispossessed King, The One Handed, The Silver Handed, The Hunter, Lord of the Subliminal Realms, Victorious Interpreter, Lord of the Mines) is a being of great antiquity, described variously as hoary, immemorial, archaic, and primal. Nodens visited the Strange High House in the Mist, traveling in a great sea shell on dolphins' backs, in company with Neptune, nereids, and tritons. Nodens himself is described as of "grey and awful form" with wizened hand.

Nodens seems to be a deity that guards the dreamlands, as the path from the edge of the world to the abyss. He was at one time a warrior-king, whose prominent role now is that of a hunter, and is associated with healing, and oracular visions. He roams the dreamlands, and can be induced to lead travelers to their destinations or to prophetic visions. He has also been called upon to hunt down enemies, though on his own, he seeks the creatures of Nyarlathotep specifically, or creatures of great skill and strength generally. Offerings to Nodens can be burned, dropped into chasms or dark spaces, or cast into the sea, and often take the shape of a single arm effigy.

Nodens might be dangerous to consort with too closely, for after he took Olney and his host for a ride, it was said that Olney was never the same and seemed to have lost his spirit. In the dreamworld, Nodens is the lord of the night-gaunts, who own not Nyarlathotep but hoary Nodens as their lord. This is noteworthy since Nyarlathatotep appears in other respects to be the most powerful being in the dreamworld, as the soul and messenger of the Other Gods, who "protect" the meek gods of Earth. Thus Nodens may be a being of power comparable to Nyarlathotep, but not associated with the Other Gods.

Nodens might even be more powerful than the Other Gods, for "even were unexpected things to come from the Other Gods, who are prone to oversee the affairs of earth's milder gods, the night-gaunts need not fear; for the outer hells are indifferent matters to such silent and slippery flyers as own not Nyarlathotep for their master, but bow only to potent and archaic Nodens"

Nodens seems a bit reminiscent of Azathoth who dwells outside the ordered universe. Unlike Azathoth, however, Nodens is not described as mindless, and it seems that he might aid or befriend humans on some occasions. It is possible that Noden's influence is limited to dream realms”

Determining the Aspects for Envocation, when it’s not already documented
Without anything directly written on the envocation of Nodens, other than some information regarding the historical reverence of tossing small replicas of a human arm into dark spaces, holes, and/or the ocean, I had to determine what was appropriate. For this I decided to go into a trance/meditation like state, focusing on what I knew about Nodens to see if I could be enlightened/guided by the aspect deity himself. Surprisingly less than thirty minutes into the trance state I was given a series of visions. I knew that I was going to create a replica of a human arm, it was going to be made with wood and vines that I cultivated from the woods, and I was going to burn it on the winter solstice.

Ritualistic Creation of the Effigy
The arm is a clear follow on to the historical references; the winter solstice is the longest night of the year, which coincides with his titles and references to the Abyss. The process of creating the arm took approximately two days, I knew that I would incorporate some kind of petition to Nodens, written on a parchment and sealed with blood. What I didn’t know was how I was going to draw the blood. Luckily for me I was cut during the collection process, in a place that wouldn’t hamper everyday life, and it was a bleeder, using that I consecrated the wood and sealed the parchment.

For the petition itself, I wrote out my direct and specific intent on a piece of aged paper, in a cipher that I developed. I rolled it up, bound it in twine, sealed it in blood, and put it in the hollow of the upper arm, which was covered over as I continued the manufacture of the wicker arm.

For kicks I happened to have packets of color changing powder for the fire, so I packed six of them into the arm itself.

I prepared everything ahead of time, as the bonfire that I would be attending was going to be with friends of friends/strangers.

Execution of the Final Elements
Since the winter’s solstice bonfire was “public” I said a silent “prayer” before I cast the arm into the fire, to call Nodens’ attention to my request.

Results
I was contacted by a lesser entity inside of a lucid dream approximately within a week. I discussed my intent with the entity, and since then have been reaping the results. I would say that I specifically struck a deal with Nodens, I would receive a boon in direct response to actions I would take on his behalf.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Re: Evoking Nodens

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 am

Very interesting stuff.

Nodens sounds like a great choice of entity from the Lovecraft Pantheon to start with. A good one to have on your side to hopefully protect you from the less personable ones. ;)

I am glad your ritual went well. Being contacted within a lucid dream is a very fitting and i'm sure very engaging experience.

I wonder what you will be asked to do to fulfil your end of the deal.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Leaving nothing to chance I specified. If I am going to work with intelligences, I am going to assume they will be as manipulative and selfish as humans, :P .
- Vap0rWar3

Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 am

Microcosm,
What ever happened to your work with Anansi?
- Vap0rWar3

Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:51 pm

As you know, I decided to recognise Anansi as my patron deity after I realised he was contacting me, as a result of a string of synchronicities.

Since then I have set up his picture on my altar and on my digital altar. I light a candle to him and invoke his presence before each ritual that I hope he can help me in, and give him periodic offerings of mead, whisky or stories, depending on what I have and what I find appropriate.

I will often invoke his presence during meditation and seek his perspective on things in my life. He emphasises aspects such as connections with friends and family, the need to relax and enjoy life, and how to overcome problems with tricks and smarts instead of pushing through with force. He loves stories and I have now increased my reading of fiction books and I am memorising some fairy tale type stories (brothers grimm) word for word, which is something I have never done before.

Anansi and I have very similar personalities, hence the resonance drawing us together, and through his stories I can see that his appetites and tactics often result in his downfall and this is also a lesson to me that sometimes I need to do hard work instead of always planning to get by on my wits.

I also often ask for his assistance in protection rituals and I add spiders and webs to visualisations that are used to protect me or to help me connect with things.

So it has been a good learning experience working with Anansi.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:23 am

Thats awesome. Very cool god to get to know. I should consider petitioning him in the near future. So far Nodens has been good on his word, though he is very curt in conversation. Think wizend viking'esq personality, a great hunter in physical decline, but very wise. At this point I mostly play drums and pray to him and occasionally ask for assistance in healing. Dream work is definitely making progress. Dreaming went from non-existent, to starting to remember, to remembering 3-4 dreams a night, to occasionally getting a lucid dream at a frequency of about once a week.

So no complaints here.

You should also outline that other ritual you had talked about for self improvement. I have that on my list as next, though I am going back and forth on the target being or a loved one.
- Vap0rWar3

Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 pm

You should also outline that other ritual you had talked about for self improvement.
I will make a thread for it soon when I have the time. :)
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 am

Picture, brought to you of Nodens, through reoccurring dreams over the last two weeks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FBkk8aLDa8UpPI292
- Vap0rWar3

Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:09 am

Very Nice