A Time of High Chaos

Chadmin
Site Admin

Re: A Time of High Chaos

Post by Chadmin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 am

Micr0cosM wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:21 am
I leave on Friday, miscalculated I my original post.

Thanks. I am equally excited and terrified. :D :shock:
YOU CAN DO IT!
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:17 am

Update, in case anyone is interested.

The date my visa expired was March 4th. We booked the flight for March 2nd because we didn't have anywhere to stay until the 8th and didn't want to pay too much for a hotel while waiting for that, so it was pretty close to the expiry. Once the visa expires there is no extension, you just have to apply for a new visa. Ours took years to get cleared and thousands of dollars for a lawyer so we didn't mess it up, also we had already cancelled our lease on our house, sold all our stuff and had everything packed into 6 large cases, so the visa expiring wasn't an option. I lived in Belfast which is about 100 miles away from Dublin airport where the flights were booked from. Its way cheaper to drive to Dublin and fly than to fly from Belfast.

March 2nd, storm Emma hits.

The worst storm to hit Ireland in 30 years. 7 foot snow drifts. The whole city of Dublin shut down. People told to not leave their homes. Airport shut down. We get a text from our airline telling us that flights are cancelled until further notice. I contact the American consulate in Belfast and ask them can a visa be extended, they say not a chance. I contact our lawyer to confirm if a March 4th expiry date means that it expires on midnight march 3rd or midnight march 4th. No one can answer that as no one is stupid enough to leave their trip to the last moment. I call our airline Aer Lingus, the customer service tells us that they are being told to tell people to expect flights to be delayed for days but they are not actually cancelled. Our lawyer says that as long as my journey starts before the expiry date I will be ok, and tells me to fly anywhere and then on to Chicago before expiry even if i can get a boat to England. Get a boat to England during the worst storm the British isles has seen in a generation, not likely. Rebook our flight for the 3rd, and launch a very urgent sigil.

Checking the weather and on the the 3rd it seems to be clearing up by midday. News is showing hundreds of people sleeping on benches and floors in Dublin airport.

Get an announcement that all flights are cancelled on the 3rd until 11am. My flight is scheduled for 11:30am

We need to make sure we can get through the airport in time for the flight. Our lawyer told us that getting though US immigration as an immigrant can take a long time as there are extra checks to be made. Pick up the rental car, its an estate, a manual. I haven't driven a manual in years, and have never driven a car this big before. We had been taking shifts of 2 hour sleeps as we took all the available time to get rid of our stuff and get the house in a presentable manner for our landlord who was kind enough to return our deposit without seeing the house first. Nice guy. So I am driving a huge car, overladen with luggage, into one of the worst storms in decades. The road to Dublin is practically empty, making conditions worse, its practically white out with snow. I can barely stay awake, i keep waking my wife to talk to me so i don't fall asleep, she mutters some random words then falls asleep again. Not good. I stop at the motorway services to get some caffeine, its closed, deserted. The news are calling this storm The Snowpocalypse, which i thought was funny, but now feels totally appropriate. I turn on the radio and the only channel that is listenable is one playing some airy Irish folk music like I just tuned into Rivendell FM, beautiful but no good to keep me awake.

After hours of one of the most terrifying journeys I have ever driven we get to the airport. Got checked in at the perfect moment; as soon as we join the line hundreds of people appear behind us. My wife is slightly disabled, so we get a wheelchair, and the wheelchair guy bumps us to the head of every line, US immigration takes maybe 5 minutes and boom I'm a legal resident of the United States Of America. At this point the plane can take as long as it likes, we can sleep at the airport if necessary, the hard part is over. We look out the window and there are snow plough type vehicles going up and down the runway trying to keep it clear. On any other day I would be worried but I had run out of fucks to give by that stage. Plane departed about 2 hours late but at least it departed on the same day.

So now I am in America, I have a place to stay, rent free for 7 weeks, and by the end of that time I will need to have a job and a place to move into, which should be a scary situation, but my assessment of stressful has just been redefined. Just got my social security card and reading a book on passing my driving test.

I am staying in Ellisville MO which is a synchronicity that I find heartening as I had just started working with the linking sigil and the Ellis Egregore. I just did a working last night to align myself with Ellis and a sigil to help me with my situation. It felt good, felt right, powerful, and minutes afterwards I got a positive sign. So I am optimistic about my prospects.

Murica!!
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Chadmin
Site Admin

Post by Chadmin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Holy shit that sounds stressful, glad you made it, and lol at "Ellisville"
pixelheresy

Post by pixelheresy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Went through the same thing in reverse, in a lot of ways. I moved from the US [Boston] to Stockholm, Sweden about 4.5 years ago. It's stressful, but you get over the hump and things start seeming normal. Your perspective changes and then things seem *super wrong* when you head back.

I would recommend anyone doing it. Yeah, it's hard to do with wife and kid(s) in tow, but you don't have excuses or limits. You just need to figure the angle.
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks,

Sounds like quite a move you did. At least I am mostly familiar with American culture thanks to a lifetime of television and movies. ;)
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
foxystoat

Post by foxystoat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Micr0cosM wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 am
I've heard it said that in Europe they think one hundred miles is a long way, and in America they think one hundred years is a long time. ;)
Micr0cosM,

I concur.

Thankx for sharing that saying. It is very pithy; very good. :D

Here's to wishing you well on your moves and travels and settlings... :*:

Regards,
Benjamin Michael Walker