How did you get into chaos magick?

Cam Revillot

How did you get into chaos magick?

Post by Cam Revillot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:40 am

Nothing special here. I just happened to see an article about magick that got me googling and I was surprised how much sense it made to me since other types of magick had always seemed silly to me. They seem less silly now, but only in the context of chaos magic.

What about you? How did you get into it?
Check out Chaos Tarot for my Sigil Generator and other tools and ideas for C :*: M
bathtub-alchemist

Re: How did you get into chaos magick?

Post by bathtub-alchemist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 am

It always called to me. My mother raised me on stories of the bible, and the best parts were the old testement magicks. I learned young that magick was VERY real and VERY evil. But in time I learned that magick was not as evil as I had been led to believe. I reached for the power, and attempted to grasp it, but I could grasp it not, for it was within me. Then I understood that is why it was evil....because it was of man, If man is to be percieved as evil then the powers within him must be sorted into the same basket
they say another day another dollar
I see anoter slave another collar
Xunken

Post by Xunken » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 pm

When I had first gotten into the occult I was struggling to find out where I belong. I’m the type of person who likes to be sure something is real. Before I learned about the occult, I was an atheist. In the occult, there are lots of different pagan religions-I wasn’t sure which “fit me” or which was “the real deal”. Then I found chaos magick.

Long story short, as a chaos magician, in my case, all I need to do is find out which techniques work for me, and use them to help improve my life. There’s no point in me trying to understand why this stuff works, all I know is that magick is real, and there’s different ways to use it. I’d go insane trying to find the “true answer” to the universe. So I just accept the fact that chaos magick is essentially mind-hacking, and there’s lots of fun stuff I can do with that.

Belief is a tool, and I use it to my advantage.
:*: BELIEF IS A TOOL, AND I USE IT TO MY ADVANTAGE :*:
mattrhearn

Post by mattrhearn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:50 am

Christian in my childhood, materialist atheist from about ages 14 to 27.

Took acid at age 27, opened me up to closed off avenues of thought regarding non-materialistic models of the universe.

Independent of that I started listening to podcasts on Ancient Indian history and philosophy later that year, and an episode on the epistemology of Samkhya in particular described the idea of a single universal consciousness (called there Purusha) that experiences itself subjectively through itself and from which arises the material world (Prakriti). As with other atheistic/apatheistic but still orthodox Hindu schools of philosophy, the primary goal of most of the writings is to reconcile the absence of independently existent personified gods with the text of the Vedas and their focus on ritual - in some writings of such schools, the rituals are acknowledged to work simply because they work, and because the practitioner believes they work. I took to this concept of existence very very tightly because it sounded and felt right, but try as I might I didn't feel a connection to the Vedas or to the rituals. I wound up settling for keeping the Big Ideas as my truth, but didn't have much thought of whether there was any practical side that would also fit in my truth.

Podcasts to the rescue again. Specifically, Last Podcast on the Left, and I imagine I won't be the only person here to cite this podcast as an inspiration to take the plunge. It's a horror-subject podcast hosted by comedians - they cover true crime (especially serial killers), cults, conspiracy theories, and of course the occult. Two of the three hosts (Marcus and Henry) practice Chaos Magick to some extent, starting as did most of us with sigils that they credit with snagging them a girlfriend and a role on Heroes Reborn, respectively. Eventually they did a whole episode on it, as well as an interview with a Chaote named Ragnar whose description of how he developed a ritual really got me going.

It didn't take long for me to go from that point to Condensed Chaos and Liber Null, practicing sigils, and fostering a mindset and approach to life that will make it easier for me to pick up or create and fully believe and dismiss as BS the Belief Systems as needed from ritual to ritual. It's still early days, very much so, for me, but sigilization has been working for me and I am excited to continue to learn and expand my practices in magick.
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi guys,

I have always considered myself a seeker, and spent my late teens and twenties learning as much as possible about how the world works. I did a fair amount of psychedelics in my twenties and had some very revelatory experiences culminating an an experience of satori. However, after that I kind of moved away from spirituality, and instead of embracing what I had discovered I fell into a dark night of the soul that lasted almost twenty years wherein I became an atheist and became obsessed with understanding the world in scientific, rational terms.

Then one night a couple of years ago, I was lying in bed with a fever and had an epiphany "Nothing is true." I know it is the central phrase of chaos magick and it sounds anything from obvious to glib, but at the time it felt like decades of clouds clearing to reveal a single bright star. It was the realisation that everything I was trying to understand about the world, everything I already thought I knew, everything that anyone ever knew was literally nothing, just words and images in peoples heads, and that the only thing that was True was my moment to moment experience of the present moment. It was the realisation I should have taken from the satori experience so many years before but I just hadn't been prepared for, like my mind had to take the whole science atheism mindset to its conclusion before I could just let it go.

My personality completely changed after that day. My loved ones tell me I became a completely different person. I don't remember where or how I started but I became obsessed with reading books on magick and the occult, like I was making up for lost time. For months I spent every free moment reading and cross referencing what I was reading in my mind, looking for commonalities in techniques that would show me how to successfully do magick. I obviously found chaos magick very quickly and took to it immediately like it had been waiting for me to get my shit together and come join the party. Reading "Advanced Magick for Beginners- Alan Chapman" and "The Psychonaut field manual- Bluefluke" made it all click together and I started practising by designing my own banishing ritual and from then on chaos magick became a part of my daily life.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Cam Revillot

Post by Cam Revillot » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm

mattrhearn wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:50 am

Podcasts to the rescue again. Specifically, Last Podcast on the Left, and I imagine I won't be the only person here to cite this podcast as an inspiration to take the plunge. It's a horror-subject podcast hosted by comedians - they cover true crime (especially serial killers), cults, conspiracy theories, and of course the occult. Two of the three hosts (Marcus and Henry) practice Chaos Magick to some extent, starting as did most of us with sigils that they credit with snagging them a girlfriend and a role on Heroes Reborn, respectively. Eventually they did a whole episode on it, as well as an interview with a Chaote named Ragnar whose description of how he developed a ritual really got me going.

It didn't take long for me to go from that point to Condensed Chaos and Liber Null, practicing sigils, and fostering a mindset and approach to life that will make it easier for me to pick up or create and fully believe and dismiss as BS the Belief Systems as needed from ritual to ritual. It's still early days, very much so, for me, but sigilization has been working for me and I am excited to continue to learn and expand my practices in magick.
Now I'm really interested in checking that out!
Check out Chaos Tarot for my Sigil Generator and other tools and ideas for C :*: M
613nat

Post by 613nat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Micr0cosM wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 pm
Hi guys,

I have always considered myself a seeker, and spent my late teens and twenties learning as much as possible about how the world works. (...)
Then one night a couple of years ago, I was lying in bed with a fever and had an epiphany "Nothing is true." I know it is the central phrase of chaos magick and it sounds anything from obvious to glib, but at the time it felt like decades of clouds clearing to reveal a single bright star. It was the realisation that everything I was trying to understand about the world, everything I already thought I knew, everything that anyone ever knew was literally nothing, just words and images in peoples heads, and that the only thing that was True was my moment to moment experience of the present moment.
My experience crosses with this. But instead of nothing is real, by revelation told me that everything is real. It depends how they define reality.

I was stoned staring in the mirror one afternoon, after a lifetime of tortured soul and depression, but also with bouts of brilliance in my studies and work. The mirror spoke to me, another me, it was very dynamic my perception switching between speaker. I learned that everything was real, all that's imagined basically, I took it to mean. It was just a matter of giving cause to it, I've learned since. I was given access to interact with potential versions of myself that sometimes fight over controls. It was a very powerful experience, life-changing pretty much.

Then in search for explanations of what I'd experienced, I found Gnosticism from Samael Aun Weor, which gave some answers and led to a will to further my understanding. Readings veered into soul light work and positive energy etc, which I still believe in today as a tool for my purposes. The instinct was led to magick, but chaos magick in particular because there are no rules. I wholeheartedly agree with the tenet, do what thou wilt... Love under will. For real. But of course over in the material world there are a lot of rules to follow... So I seek the truth first in the mind. I don't do very much spell magick yet. I find I need to be very careful about what intent I want to let loose out there. So experience comes with time. But understanding the power within/without of anything is possible has become a life quest. So grateful. :pent: :*: :lol: <3
abitungraceful

Post by abitungraceful » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:00 pm

I always had a fascination with magic, but more in a fictional Harry Potter/The Magicians kind of way. Raised by a Jewish mom and atheist dad, as I got older I definitely leaned heavily to the atheist side. I got interested in the idea of magick and had been researching Wicca and other traditions, but nothing really seemed right. I just started following my intuition and ended up doing a candle ritual with my boyfriend on the equinox, a candle ritual alone at the Harvest moon, and then (what I now realize was) a sigil ritual a month or two ago. Not too long after that, I accidentally ate an enormous dose of THC (misjudged the serving size of brownies we made) had a psychotic break where, among other things, I saw my deceased grandmother as a young woman, saw an electric-like grid linking every single person and thing around me, and felt like honest to goodness magic was flowing through me. The next morning I googled "hallucination + magick" and the 3rd link that came up was the chaos magick subreddit. It was surprising because I had previously done a lot of google searches for different magic paradigms but nothing ever quite fit and then all of a sudden this shows up and I knew immediately this was it. Other peoples' experience closely mirrored mine, and it was incredibly exciting (now that the horror had worn off from the night before). Someone on that thread recommended Condenses Chaos, which I read, and have just kept digging from there.
RedWick

Post by RedWick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 am

I'm not magical, nor did I have any particular interest in the occult. I suppose I grew up going to church, but I never really had any kind of belief or faith or interest in the mythology. Had a vague inclination towards Eastern philosophy, but never really pursued it until I got to college, at which point I bee-lined to Taoism and never really left. Somewhere along the line, I came across Discordianism, recognized a lot of the Zen influence in it and kinda folded that in to my working philosophical framework (mostly in that I never take myself or what I might believe all that seriously). A lot of playing around with dualities, focusing on recognizing that my understanding of the world stems from my ability to pick out and focus on patterns. I drew in a lot of my interest in math/fractals by way of learning to think about things in terms of scope and scale. A lot of the specific stuff I figured out has mostly faded into the background of how I interact with the world and people, and how I approach life in general. I have other stuff going on with me that probably helps to inform stuff too, but that's neither here nor there.

I hit on the chaos magick stuff starting maybe a week ago when I came across Bluefluke's Psychonaut Field Manual (though it occurs to me that I've probably come across it before, as the art style is *really* familiar), recognized a lot of stuff being talked about as stuff that I had already been doing intuitively since I was a kid -- belief as a tool, creation of mental constructs to achieve certain ends (though, nothing as formalized as sigils), and even, I suppose, spirit summoning -- but I'd've never called the stuff magic, just me playing around with my brain, my perceptions and what I could do with them.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, to be honest, but there was enough resonance that joining this place made a kind of sense.

So, hm, yeah. Hi.
dogwolf

Post by dogwolf » Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 am

I wanted something with a since of humor. All the other paths I've seen are serious. I wanted to put the fun parts of all the other junk together. Glad to see people have already been doing it.