Formula for Success by Peter Carroll

Vap0rWar3

Formula for Success by Peter Carroll

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:45 pm

I came across this while reading someone else's work on Chaos Magick, but I thought it was important enough to share. The following formula is brought to you by Peter Carroll, via Liber Kaos. Through my research I have come to the same conclusion, but his summary is better than mine.

M = G x L(1-A)(1-R)
Pm = P – P x M 1/(1/-p)
All factors are between 0 and 1.

M equals the force of your magic. Which is dependent upon your G (Gnosis) and L (magical Link) multiplied by two negative factors. (Things working against you). Your conscious awareness of the desired result (1-A) and your subconscious resistance to doing magic (1-R) -i.e. “Mommy told me magick doesn’t work.”

In the other formula, P equals the chance the event you desire occurs by itself; (1/(1/-p)) equals the chance that the result you desire will not occur. Pm equals the combination of the Probability that the event will occur combined with your magical effort to make it occur
----------------------

To make it slightly easier to read:
(M)agick = (G)nosis x (L)ink x -(Active Desire) x -(Disbelief)
Where Magick is the sum, Gnosis and a Magical Link are positive numbers, which are multiplied against Active Desire and Disbelief, which are negative numbers.

While Peter simplified the system by attributing each place holder with a value of 0 to 1, I think that is too simple, and would suggest a substitution of 1 to 5.

Also, I think he fails to take into account multiple people involved and ritual/practice over time.

I look forward to your feedback.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Re: Formula for Success by Peter Carroll

Post by Micr0cosM » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Its interesting stuff.

I think it is a good way of summing up the factors involved in doing magick.

He seems to be really into explaining magick as a form of science, it makes some of his books difficult for me to get through.

I am not sold on the idea that it can be put into a quantifiable form though, there are magical traditions that don't have a form of gnosis in their acts of magick, and I have personally experienced some striking results from works that I have not been able to put out of my conscious awareness or relinquish my desire for.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 am

I totally agree with "works" that were not put out of the conscious. In my opinion the real trick is to eliminate the desire, the remove from consciousness is merely a means to that end.

As to gnosis, my definition of that has gotten really really broad. I think at this point it is merely a state in which you can empower your will. Specifically because everything boils down to inhibitory or excitatory, which consequently encompasses everything potentially.

As to the formula aspect, what I really appreciate, and this is from a conversation that was spurred on by this formula, is that potentially all gnosis that you plug into an act of will/magick, is a positive factor. Meaning that just because you dont give a lot of juice on one day, due to lack of focus, doesnt mean you cant keep empowering it over a period of time, with a larger aggregate of positive results.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm

I like to think of gnosis as a doorway, or threshold is perhaps a better word. A state where you are conscious of your intent but where your rational mind and internal monologue is not being employed or rather is being actively suppressed. So anything from dancing to listening to a piece of music to watching a sunset could work I would think.

While I have had a number of striking results happen when I was still actively desiring the result, I do love it when I get a result and then have an aha! moment when I remember that I did magick to get the thing I now have. I did some magick to help me control some stupid little habits that I have had for years and couldn't get rid of, and it would be months after doing the magick that I would realise I wasn't doing that thing anymore and couldn't remember when I had stopped. Of course then I get worried that remembering it will restart the habit...
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic