Magick and Technology - Terms/Titles

Vap0rWar3

Magick and Technology - Terms/Titles

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:34 pm

As an avid practitioner and technologist, I often have to define or find terms for things in my effort to explain or describe my practices to others. Seeing that we have a few like minds, I wanted to share some of what I have come up with, and in the process of putting this together I have gathered a further understanding of how some of these terms have come to be used, and the origins of the root words.

Hope you find this helpful.

I personally identify with Quantum Neo-Pagan, Digital Shamanism, Tech-Gnosticism, and Thaumaturgical Scientist

Quantum Neo-Pagan - Defined by Peter Carroll as a Neo-Pagan that reframes the idea of mystical action/entities, Parapsychological, and religious phenomena, as non-local information exchange, which works by Quantum Mechanics.

Technopaganism - An umbrella term that characterizes several different beliefs and practices in Neopaganism (which includes faiths such as Neo-druidry) in reference to the place of technology in Neopagan practice.

Urban Shamanism - Practiced primarily by people who do not originate in a traditional indigenous society and who create unique methods that do not follow or claim authenticity in any prior shamanistic tradition.

Digital Shamanism - The practice of obtaining shamanic visions through the applied use of technological visualization/virtual reality.

---------
Terms I have created to describe of fill a specific role:

Tech-Gnosticism - The gaining of mystical or esoteric knowledge based on direct participation with the divine, through the application of technology.

Thaumaturgical Scientist - A worker of wonders, performer of miracles, a magician, who applies the scientific method to discovery and research in understanding the defining characteristics of magick.

---------

Root Words

Paganism - A group of contemporary religions based on a reverence for nature. These faiths draw on the traditional religions of indigenous peoples throughout the world. Practitioners pursue their own vision of the Divine as a direct and personal experience.

Neo-Paganism - A collection of modern religious, spiritual, and magical traditions that are self-consciously inspired by the pre-Judaic, pre-Christian, and pre-Islamic belief systems of Europe, North Africa, and the Near East. Practitioners take only what they want from the past, the symbolism, the archetypes, and the freedom to innovate.

Shamanism - A practitioner reaching altered states of consciousness, typically through the application of mind altering plants, in order to perceive and interact with a spirit world and channel these transcendental energies into this world.

Gnosis - Gnosis refers to knowledge based on personal experience or perception. In a religious context, gnosis is mystical or esoteric knowledge based on direct participation with the divine.
* Note, in modern magick, Gnosis is often defined as a mental state necessary for the practice of magick, that is described as a state of being without ego/distraction.

Quantum - In this usage, quantum is defined as incorporating the understanding of Quantum Mechanics in the use of magick.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Re: Magick and Technology - Terms/Titles

Post by Micr0cosM » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Very interesting.

I definitely resonate most with digital shamanism.

I wouldn't refer to myself as such though as every book I have read on shamanism has been very specific in stating that a shaman can't work in isolation. A shaman must be acting as a conduit to the spirit world for a community or tribe. Just like you can't be a doctor if you don't practice medicine on sick people.

I don't have a tribe at present, but the techniques are totally my thing.

Tech-Gnosticism, and Thaumaturgical Scientist also of course.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Right, but I would peg you as being an Urban Shaman, unless you are practicing a type of shamanism of a people from which you are a decedent. And with that definition, you are free (just as a chaote) to disregard certain aspects or requirements. So no tribe, no problem.

Side note, ever think about making a witch coven? not like a wicca thing, I just like the idea of witches (not tied to gender, though if you wanted to be technical you could say warlocks I suppose). Then you have your cake (tribe) and eat it to.. but please dont eat me.. I am probably delicious though.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Certainly a prospective urban shaman, still consider myself a noob to this stuff.

I definitely don't have enough charisma to start a coven or whatever, I am mostly a strange loner type. Might look into local groups when I am settled in my new abode.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
kingnine

Post by kingnine » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 pm

In keeping with the theme of expanding magickal possibilities with technology, couldn't your community be digital? Chaotes is a community, Reddit is a community, etc.
"The customer is usually wrong; but statistics indicate that it doesn't pay to tell him so."
-Aleister Crowley
Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 am

Very good point.