A Lovecraftian Paradigm

Vap0rWar3

A Lovecraftian Paradigm

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:48 am

I decided a few months ago to develop a framework or belief structure based on the Cthulhu narrative, by HP Lovecraft.

I have seen a few others mention they worked with such a thing and being a fan, I was intrigued. As it turns out there are a lot of Outer-gods, not to mention Elder gods, so as my research took form and I had 27 Outer-gods, I decided to end the mapping of relative affinities there.

As I researched the Outer-gods, they came across not necessarily as evil, eldritch horrors, but more primal forms of creation, destruction, order, and chaos.

diagram pic:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BzOoh ... wcYdU3Dgdc

description of patheon:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kTP9o ... EKtjWdRr8U

Interestingly enough, Outer Gateways by Kenneth Grant covers the incorporation of Lovecraftian deities, as faces of existing historical gods. Claiming that Lovecraft had visions or inspiration from deities already in existence.

Alan Moore, author of the Watchmen and such, has his own explanation for artists and writers inspiration, claiming that it comes from the same place that divination and encounters with divinity.

Anyway, the diagram above was my attempt to "codify" the outer-gods into some kind of format, based on what I read of their affinities.

Lastly, I conducted a ritual petition to Nodens during the winter solstice, which is actually a historical god of Britain as well as being incorporated into the Cthulhu mythos. Ill cover that in the appropriate section of this forum.
- Vap0rWar3
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
And find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
And is traveled by dark feet and dark wings

To Know the Dark | by Wendell Berry
Micr0cosM

Re: A Lovecraftian Paradigm

Post by Micr0cosM » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 am

Interesting stuff.

Where does Cthulhu fit onto that diagram?

I have read only one book from the mythos, but obviously I have encountered the material in many other popular sources (I'm playing edge of nowhere at present.)

I haven't read anything to do with using it as a working magickal system, but the vibe I get from the material that I have seen is that it encountering beings from this pantheon usually results in some kind of madness. Apart from the fact that it's cool AF, why did you choose this pantheon to work with?
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm

So Cthulhu is an Elder God, which is lesser than the Outer Gods. I was going to include them, but with 30ish Outer Gods, the mapping was getting too big. Essentially Outer-gods are more powerful and do not reside on earth/terrestrial space. Elder gods are their children, like Cthulhu, and then there are creatures less powerful than the elder gods, that also reside on earth or in dreams.

I might at some point take a crack at mapping the Elder Gods. For what it is worth, Cthulhu is associated with Water, and he has 3 siblings for the other elements.
- Vap0rWar3

Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm

As to you last question, I chose it because its cool AF.. lol.. also to really test my ability at adopting different beliefs. Since the origins of this are from fiction, it seemed a good way. However, the more I study it and other stuff, I find that the line between fiction and non-fiction, what is dreamt by artists and that by mystics, are really pretty much the same.
- Vap0rWar3

Micr0cosM

Post by Micr0cosM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 pm

I read in an interview with Alan Moore that he wasn't into magick until one day he was writing the following dialog in From Hell:

“The one place Gods inarguably exist is in our minds where they are real beyond refute, in all their grandeur and monstrosity.”
― Alan Moore, From Hell

He said that when he considered the implications of that statement he realised how magick worked and subsequently declared himself a Magickian.

I read today that he is retiring from comic writing after releasing his latest piece from the League of "Extraordinary Gentlemen"

Link to article.

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... spider-man

Let us know how your work with this paradigm goes, it sounds fascinating.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic
Cam Revillot

Post by Cam Revillot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Seen this?

Check out Chaos Tarot for my Sigil Generator and other tools and ideas for C :*: M
Vap0rWar3

Post by Vap0rWar3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:22 pm

I have NOT! but it looks amazing!
- Vap0rWar3